This is a painting I’m not very pleased with:
Simply because I made a lot of mistakes making it.
Firstly, I didn’t blend enough colours together during the wash.
Secondly, I repainted a lot of my strokes, which made the painting way too dark.
There’s a lot I would do differently if I was to paint it again:
– I would certainly not have done two washes on the sky, pavement and boats
– I would have used a weaker blend of paint for the boats second layer
– I would use less lines for details, and a thinner brush for the lines in the distance
– I would be less careful when adding the first wash, not being too concerned about where the colours end up
This is the sketch:
This is the wash:
And, again, the finished product:
I think the last layer is definitely where it went really wrong.
The colours look much better after the first wash, and I should have kept more of it.
I’m also going to start using more mixed strokes when adding the paint, getting a more loose look.
So, to sum up, this is one for the bin.
But I think – or hope – it has taught be a valuable lesson 🙂